With many of us now working from home, not necessarily through choice, there can be some challenges to overcome, particularly around productivity. Whilst there can be a lot of distractions including noise, in an office environment, there are also distractions at home, and staying focussed can be difficult.
The following tips may be useful to assist you to stay on track:
- Set up a designated workspace that is as private as possible
- Start and finish at the same time each day
- Take a morning tea, lunch, and afternoon tea break away from your desk
- Do not answer calls that are not from clients whilst you are working – once family and friends know that you are working from home, they tend to call during office time
- Learn a new skill, i.e. knitting or crocheting
- Get out of your PJ’s and into something comfortable, it does not have to be formal (unless you are having online meeting), but pyjamas will not put you in the right mindset
- Limit social media time
- Get outside and get some fresh air for a few minutes every hour
- Plan your ‘ideal’ day and stick to it
Here at PPC we have been working from home since commencing operations in 2012; we have learnt first-hand the benefits and challenges. It can be liberating and does provide flexibility that a traditional office does not, but discipline is key.